Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Weaning the Paci





Our Princess Charlie is going to be 3 in June, and she was just NOT giving up that paci. When she was younger, she only used it at bedtime/nap time and in the car. As she has gotten older though, she has become more attached and wants it in her mouth all day long. During my pregnancy with Rainbow Evan, we would prompt her that pacis are for babies, and that she shouldn't have one when baby sister comes since she will be a big girl (her words for herself are "Big Sister Princess"). She would tell us how she was going to be a good big sister and give her paci to baby sister. As you can assume, that didn't happen!


I don't think since the baby that the paci use has gotten worse, but it certainly didn't get better. Recently I saw someone post about a paci weaning system, but it was about $20. It did have great reviews, but I really didn't want to spend that much on pacis. Looking at the system, the pacis essentially had holes in the nipple part of the paci. When Jesse got home from work, he suggested we just cut her two that she had left.

I waited until the next morning, and at 8:30am I cut the tip of both pacis. I was so nervous. I had one laying on the counter (she thought she lost it two days prior), and I put the other one back by her Jake Dog (comfort item) on the couch as if nothing was any different. As Princess Charlie came into the kitchen to get her bowl of cereal, she saw the paci on the counter. "I found it!" She was all too excited, and in my head I thought, "What have you done, you monster!?" As she was reaching for it, she noticed something was wrong, and she told me it was broke. I said, "Oh no, what should we do?" She quickly told me she needed to throw it away, grabbed it, and threw it in the trash can.

After breakfast, we were hanging out in the living room. I was nursing Rainbow Evan, and Princess Charlie climbed on the couch and grabbed Jake Dog and her remaining paci. I was watching her from the corner of my eye, and noticed she kept taking her paci out of her mouth to look at it as if something was wrong. I was expecting her to come unglued, but she would just pop it right back in her mouth. My mind was going crazy, and I just thought, "Oh great. Now we are down to one paci and she will have it the rest of her life."

After about 5 minutes, she said, "Mommy, this paci is broke too, I better throw it away too." At this point my heart was pounding, because I can just picture the tantrums that were going to follow later on that day, and even worse. . . at bedtime. Now, slightly regretting my actions, I said, "Oh, are you sure?" As she was on her way to the kitchen, she just yelled back to me, "Oh yeah! It's broke. I'll throw it away."

Done. We are officially done with the paci! She just kept telling me (and still has been telling people) "I threw my paci away. I'm a big girl now." It is almost like since it was "her" decision to throw them away, it is ok. She is very independent and strong willed. . . I need to remember this tactic to apply to other situations later!

As for the paci weaning system, I believe it would work, as the same basic idea is used. However, if you do not want to spend the extra money, I am living proof that you can just DIY this one, and cut the tip off of the paci. It's worth a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment